WhatsApp, a popular communication app with billions of users, announced in February 2018 that it will add a UPI Payment service in it for its users for bank-to-bank money transfers. And WhatsApp did add the UPI Payment service in November 2020 after facing 2 years of data compliance issues & roadblocks with the RBI (Reserve Bank of India). NPCI (National Payments Corporation of India) approved WhatsApp for UPI Payments. Now users can easily send & receive money to/from their friends.
WhatsApp is the first communication app that has the UPI Payment service with over billions of users base. To use the WhatsApp Payment, all you need is the current version of WhatsApp, a Bank Account, and a debit card. It supports 160+ Banks and as it is based on UPI, you can link to any participating bank with WhatsApp Pay. Also, it is not limited to only WhatsApp to WhatsApp. You can also transfer money from WhatsApp Pay to other UPI apps like Google Pay, PhonePay, etc.
How to Setup or Add a Bank Account?
To add your bank account, follow these steps:
- Open WhatsApp Messenger and tap on the three-dotted option at the top right corner of the screen.
- Now, tap on the Payment option and then select the “Add Payment Method” option.
- It will open a list of banks. Now select the bank in which you have your bank account.
- Then tap on the “Verify” option and select the SIM which is registered in your bank account.
- After that, WhatsApp will send an SMS to your bank to verify your number. It is to ensure that the number you’re using in your device is the same as used in your Bank account. Then it will search for your bank account associated with that number.
- After searching, it will show your bank account.
- If you already have a UPI account, then it will directly show you the option “Add” to add it in your WhatsApp. Otherwise, you have to create your UPI account using your debit card.
- After all these steps, it will add your bank account successfully in WhatsApp for your future WhatsApp Payments.
How to Send Money to WhatsApp Pay Users
If the recipient has the active WhatsApp Pay, then you can send him money using WhatsApp Pay by following these steps:
- Open the recipient chat to whom you want to send money.
- Now tap on the attachment icon and select the “Payment” option.
- Now enter the amount, and tap on the “Send” option.
- Then enter your UPI PIN and your money will be successfully transferred.
How to Send Money to Users who Don’t Have WhatsApp Pay
If the recipient doesn’t have WhatsApp Pay, but have UPI Account on other apps such as Google Pay, PhonePay, Paytm, etc., you can send him money using WhatsApp Pay by following the steps mentioned below:
- Open the WhatsApp Messenger app and tap on the three-dotted option at the top right corner of the screen.
- Now tap on the “Send Payment” option.
- Here, you will get the option to send money using the QR Code or UPI ID of the recipient.
- Select the “Scan QR Code” if you have the QR Code of the recipient and then scan the QR code.
- Select the “UPI ID” if you have the UPI ID of the recipient and then enter his UPI ID.
- Now enter the amount and tap the “Send” option.
- Then it will ask for your UPI PIN. Enter it and it will transfer the money successfully.